XenDesktop Site Checker v1.5

5:24 PM
XenDesktop Site Checker v1.5 -

of the Citrix community Hello!

Since this is my first Citrix blog, I thought I would give a quick introduction. My name is Kenny Baldwin, and I worked on the Citrix worldwide escalation team for the past three years, support for both XenApp and XenDesktop. I presented TechEdge 2011 and I am an active participant in the support forums.

I am writing this post because I want to share an overview of the latest version of XenDesktop Site Checker utility that I've worked on. Initially, I was publishing tool for the Citrix Knowledge Center a few months ago as the "XenDesktop Service Checker" because it is the original intention was to check that all the site services are running, and all service instances have been recorded correctly in a XenDesktop site.

I decided early on to build this tool as a standalone C # WinForms, built on .NET 3.5 SP1, which can run PowerShell scripts to perform certain tasks in a XenDesktop environment 5. Since all interactions the tool with the site's database are executed via the XenDesktop 5 PowerShell SDK, the application has proven to be very flexible and reliable for its purpose.

This tool has been designed to help identify and correct common problems XenDesktop site, while giving the user a "look under the covers on a 5+ XenDesktop site. Although the tool always has the ability to identify and correct non-registered service instances in a XenDesktop site, I am working to add more checks and corrections that we identify in support.

Over the past two months, I work to refine the performance of the tool, as well as expansion of its capacity and overall functionality. I thought it would be interesting to share my latest progress with the community in order to solicit feedback (good or bad).

I modified the tool a bit from the current public version, so here's a look at what has changed between 1.1 and 1.5

As you can see, I strongly modified and expanded the scope of this utility. I tried to focus on adding configuration options that are not available in Desktop Studio (CTX1307 for example), and another method of connecting and monitoring a XenDesktop site.

Here are some of the main changes since v1.1:

  • Re-aligned the best TreeView nodes level to reflect the Desktop layout studio
  • Unlocked the main SplitContainer for better resizing
  • Tweaked the Log Viewer field to fill the vertical space resize / maximize
  • Added PVD storage node to the host, and the ability to remove or storage of VM storage or PVD
  • Added AD Identity pool, catalog, provisioning schemes and provisioning tasks nodes
  • Added ability to stop / remove provisioning tasks
  • Added ability to view / change advanced power settings of a mission (this is my favorite, although I intentionally left out the "extended" options, no one use ??)

I also made minor adjustments following:
  • moved the buttons and the bar progression to the bottom panel of the right dock
  • Added 'open in Notepad "to open a viewer session (including the selected text)
  • Added logging for all POSH scripts and variables
  • Improved exception handling redirected to the viewer journal
  • Changed routine "Checker service" to automatically record the missing service instances (it will still tell you about it, I just assumed that why you ran the tool :)
  • Removed the 'description' text box
  • "improved" TreeView icons

Some things I want to add in the next version are:

  • Add SQL join / evict
  • script generator
  • Add 'Connect to ..' feature for remote support
  • Add a vCPUs / RAM adjuster Provisioning diagrams node
  • Fixed some formatting problems
  • Add more / better logging
  • Add all the newly discovered ways detect problems and determining site configuration
  • Remember faster than Desktop studio 😉

I hope you get a good use of this tool, and I welcome your comments! Keep an eye on v1.5 later this week.

Thanks,

-Kenny

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar