Has Microsoft just #FixVDA?

9:53 PM
Has Microsoft just #FixVDA? -

When I read my morning Twitter feed, I saw a tweet from one of our CTPs (Dane Young @youngtech) that I woke up better than my morning tea ever could

Who with a passion for the VDI (XenDesktop) space in arms about the way been Microsoft VDI licenses in the past has been of the device. In RDS (XenApp) space Licensing has for a long time thanks to the RDS CAL per user. To illustrate the differences between these licensing models I describe this video shot about a year ago that generated about 2k hits (that's a lot for a boring video about Microsoft Licensing)

This discrepancy in licensing has created a problem for organizations that want to push VDI, but not in the way it is licensed. Consider the way many users operate these days, how many of you reading this using only a single device? My guess is that every last person preparing this blog numerous devices. According to Forbes, the average mobile user has 3.5 devices. In my experience the average geek 10. :) has The point is, if I want to access my Windows desktop / app, and if my corporation would VDA licenses, they would need a license per non-Windows device. A change of licenses made it so allows a license to 5 devices, but that was not enough for me and many others. We wanted to per-user licensing. I always liked the idea that I have a badge in my wallet, that if I was from the approval Police pulled over they would say: "This person is licensed to use this software." That's what it looks like Microsoft has done with the latest license rules. License to use the user the device is not

No word yet on the cost of the new license, my guess is that it will be at a premium, but even so, revision is fixed by this and list prices are all be agreed. So far as I am concerned #FixVDA is done, but I can not leave it there ...

What is not resolve this License Microsoft Services Provider License Agreement (SPLA), which is important to the cloud-based desktop (DaaS) market. I for one would love to see SPLA for Windows client to, it would certainly our CSPs and our efforts to Citrix Workspace Services help. But VDA on a per user basis is a massive change for Microsoft and although I am no longer an analyst, I really have a hard time Microsoft to these in my previous role I have done may or may not have multiple presentation #FixVDA, as the hashtag (I admit nothing!) :). I know I changed jobs, but I wanted to give our partners over at Microsoft a huge shout out on this one. Great job gang! This change is a great opportunity for us at Citrix and VDI for industry in general

Gunnar Berger

CTO, Desktop and Apps

. PS: If you are interested, take Gartner, I would recommend you to read Mark Lockwood blog. It covers the now and I expect that his day got to do with this news much more.

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar